If you’re trying to access BBC iPlayer from abroad, you won’t be able to do it. This is mostly because the BBC services are only broadcasted within the UK. The only way for you to get on the iPlayer bandwagon is by using the best VPN for BBC iPlayer.
Before moving ahead, you should know that BBC iPlayer actively blocks VPNs from allowing access to its services. So, choosing the best one will take a lot more work. There are certain features to look for when picking on.
In this article, I’ll be covering the best VPNs for access to BBC iPlayer, how I chose them, and why you’d need one to begin with. But, before we move on, here’s a quick list of the top BBC iPlayer VPN choices:
|ExpressVPN||Best choice for unblocking BBC iPlayer, with great speeds and strong security features.|
|FastestVPN||VPN with good security features and bypass BBC iPlayer blocks from abroad.|
|Surfshark||Best VPN choice for BBC iPlayer allowing unlimited device connections.|
|NordVPN||Top BBC iPlayer VPN with robust security features and fast speeds.|
|CyberGhost||Best BBC iPlayer VPN for privacy and anonymity on the internet.|
My top pick for a BBC iPlayer VPN would have to be ExpressVPN. I’ve put all 5 providers to the test and even though they all rendered great results, ExpressVPN delivered an exceptional performance; mainly in speed and easy access.
How do you choose the best BBC iPlayer VPN?
There are many streaming services in the network like BBC iPlayer that block access to its services by using a VPN. But, that doesn’t mean all VPNs work the same. Some are used for smaller day-to-day use for online privacy while others are used for heavy-duty tasks like bypassing geo-blocks.
The VPN you choose should be able to handle unblocking not only BBC iPlayer but multiple other platforms at the same time. So, first placing BBC iPlayer as number one priority and then on overall features for multiple other purposes, here’s how I picked the best BBC iPlayer VPN.
Firstly, I looked for server coverage. Since BBC iPlayer is only accessible within the UK, the VPN you go with should have UK servers.
In the same way, along with these UK servers, there should be servers extending coverage to all the major countries of the world. For example, to access the US Netflix library, you’ll have to connect to a US server and so on.
Privacy is another thing to focus on when choosing a BBC iPlayer VPN. Since you’re going to try and access its services from outside the UK, you’re going to need all the online privacy you can get. You wouldn’t want your ISP or the BBC police checking up on you all the time.
Security and encryption
Security features play a big part in a BBC iPlayer VPN. Remember when I said that not all VPNs can unblock services as big as these? Well, that’s also mostly because the VPNs security structure is lacking strong backing.
A good BBC iPlayer VPN needs to be highly encrypted, has to make sure that your IP and DNS aren’t leaking and possess features strong enough to bypass the biggest geo-blocks from anywhere in the world.
Good speeds and unlimited bandwidth
Another thing, if you’re in the UK and already have access to BBC iPlayer; you could still opt for a VPN. This solely depends on whether or not you’re paying big bills for speedy internet, but your ISP is throttling both your speed and bandwidth.
I chose these 5 providers based on their ability to render great speeds regardless of whether you need the BBC iPlayer VPN in the UK or from abroad.
Most BBC iPlayer users stream the service on a Firestick, another Smart TV, or a PC. The BBC iPlayer VPNs chosen are compatible with all the major streaming devices or operating systems. Plus, they also come with simultaneous device connections per subscription. This means VPN protection for more than 1 device.
An app with a user-friendly design is best. Some people have a hard time navigating through VPN apps. A user-friendly app makes the provider more approachable.
The best VPN for BBC iPlayer in 2020
So, you’ve gone through how to make the right BBC iPlayer VPN selection, now let’s talk about what makes each provider a great choice overall.
ExpressVPN is known to be one of the best and strongest VPNs in the industry, which makes it a great choice for unblocking BBC iPlayer from outside the UK.
- It is slightly on the pricier side, with its cheapest price being $6.67/mo. However, it’s good enough because its overall performance is exceptional!
- It is a British Virgin Islands provider, which is great for privacy. It has around 3000+ servers in 94 countries, which includes wide coverage of servers in the UK too. All you have to do is connect to a UK server and unblock BBC iPlayer.
- Besides this service, it’s known and has been tested to unblock other streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Hotstar, and much more.
- ExpressVPN also delivers great speed results and unlimited bandwidth. When talking about unblocking a service like BBC, you’re going to need heavy VPN protection to do so. This provider runs on military-grade encryption, has a Kill Switch, and a DNS feature called MediaStreamer which assists in unblocking services like these.
- You can stream on BBC iPlayer using a supported device, especially since ExpressVPN is compatible with numerous streaming platforms and allows 5 simultaneous device connections. Some of it includes Windows, iOS, Android, Firestick, Linux, Browser extensions, and a lot more!
- You can put it to the test using the ExpressVPN 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobile devices or extend the trial period for multiple devices using its 30-day refund.
Next on the list, we have FastestVPN, which you may or may not have heard of. This provider is not exactly new but has managed to strut to the top within its 3 years. It competes alongside much older and renowned services in the VPN industry.
- FastestVPN is a great budgeted choice, with its best deal at $0.83/mo.
- It’s a Cayman Islands provider, which means a safe jurisdiction, marking an even safer passageway for you to access restricted streaming services from outside the UK.
- Now, coming to its server coverage, it has a smaller list in comparison to its other counterparts, but that doesn’t mean it lacks in performance. FastestVPN has around 350+ servers in 31+ countries, with the inclusion of servers in the UK.
- When put under the microscope, FastestVPN managed to unblock BBC iPlayer. If it doesn’t work for you, try disconnecting and reconnecting to the VPN, and you’ll be assigned a different UK IP address. Other services that FastestVPN unblocked were DAZN, Hotstar, ESPN, Disney Plus, Hulu, and others.
- FastestVPN supports platforms like Windows, Routers, macOS, Linux, Firestick, Android, iOS, and a lot more. You’ll also be able to connect to the VPN using multiple devices since FastestVPN allows simultaneous connections up to 10 devices.
- It’s also known for its security front. It operates using 256-bit AES encryption, a Kill Switch, supports the widest range of protocols, and has a Smart Connect feature connecting you to a suitable server according to your location and a lot more.
- There’s no free trial but you can take advantage of FastestVPN’s 15-day refund policy, in which you can use all its premium features with connection to more than one supported device.
Third, on the list for the best BBC iPlayer VPN, we have Surfshark, a British Virgin Islands provider. This VPN provider, in particular, is supposed to be one of the top providers and definitely a user-friendly VPN app for beginners and professional use.
- Surfshark is pretty reasonably priced with its best rate at $1.99/mo.
- Surfshark has around 1040+ servers in 61+ countries. It even has servers in the UK included within its list, which did unblock BBC iPlayer quite easily and with great speeds.
- Other services that Surfshark unblocked were the US Netflix library, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Go, Fox News, and a lot more.
- You can binge on BBC iPlayer or any one of these services on multiple supported devices. This is perfect because Surfshark is one of the few premium and budgeted providers that allow unlimited simultaneous device connections.
- A few of the devices it’s compatible with include Firestick, iOS, Android, macOS, Apple TV, routers, browser extensions, and a lot more.
- Besides good speeds and device compatibility, Surfshark is pretty decent on the security front as well. It works using military-grade encryption, has a Kill Switch, and has other advanced features like GPS Spoofing, Split Tunneling, and much more. It’s even DNS and IP leak protected, so your physical location is never exposed.
- You can test the VPN out on BBC iPlayer as well since Surfshark comes with a 7-day free trial for phones (Android and iOS).
- If that’s far too little time for testing or if you’d like to test it on your Smart TV, you can try using the Surfshark 30-day refund on unlimited devices.
If you’re looking for great speeds and solid security, NordVPN is definitely worth a shot. This Panama VPN is one of the best for ultimate privacy on BBC iPlayer. You don’t have to worry about your ISP tipping into your connection.
- NordVPN’s best price is extremely reasonable, at $3.49/mo.
- It sports around 5000+ servers in 59 countries, with 600 of its servers being in the UK. Connect to any one of these UK servers and you’ll have access to BBC iPlayer in no time.
- Along with this streaming service, NordVPN also unblocks other streaming platforms, some of which include Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Now, Hotstar, DAZN, ESPN, and a lot more.
- NordVPN is compatible with a wide range of supported devices and apps. Some of these include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Linux, Firestick, Apple TV, Android Box, PS4, and others. You can also connect up to 6 devices simultaneously using NordVPN.
- When I said that NordVPN is known for its security features, I meant it. It operates on 256-bit AES encryption and has a functional Kill Switch. It also comes with DNS and IP leak protection, a CyberSec feature for blocking Ads, and uses SmartPlay technologies for unblocking geo-restricted streaming services from anywhere in the world.
- You can put its unblocking abilities to the test using the NordVPN 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobile devices.
- NordVPN also has a 30-day refund policy for a longer testing period.
Rumor has it (well…had it) that CyberGhost used to be really heavy on the speeds, causing it to lag. However, the proof is always in the pudding and without trying it, you’ll never know.
When I ran CyberGhost through a few tests, the speed results I got from it were decent enough for 4K HD streaming quality.
- It’s also a budgeted choice, with the most reasonable price starting at $2.75/mo.
- CyberGhost is known for its speeds, and for great online privacy. It even applies when trying to access geo-blocked websites.
- And speaking of unblocking, it has around 6000+ servers in 59 countries. You’ll be able to easily access BBC iPlayer because CyberGhost has around 450+ UK servers included in its list.
- CyberGhost also managed to unblock FOX News, Amazon Prime, Hulu, the US Netflix library, and more.
- CyberGhost has separate servers for streaming and torrenting. You’ll even find a server labeled for BBC Player.
- CyberGhost allows a limit of 7 simultaneous device connections. Some of the devices it’s compatible with include Windows, Android, iOS, Smart TVs, Firestick, Android Box, Apple TV, and more.
- It uses military-standard encryption, is IP leak protected, and has a Kill Switch. There are more features in its app, which is pretty great for the price.
- Try unblocking BBC iPlayer using CyberGhost’s free trial for PC and smartphones.
- CyberGhost also comes with a 45-day refund, in case you’re willing to test it out for a longer time.
How to use a BBC iPlayer VPN
It’s extremely simple to get started or connected to a VPN in order to unblock the BBC iPlayer services. Here’s how you get started:
- Select and subscribe to a BBC iPlayer VPN. (ExpressVPN, FastestVPN, Surfshark, NordVPN, and CyberGhost).
- Download the app on any supported device depending on which provider you went with.
- Install and launch the app.
- Connect to a UK server.
- Now proceed to either open BBC iPlayer on a browser or download the app on your device of choice.
- Click on any BBC iPlayer movie, sports channel or TV show that was blocked and start streaming!
Do I need a VPN for BBC iPlayer?
If you’re living within the UK, you shouldn’t bother about needing a VPN for BBC iPlayer; unless you need it for other reasons like speed and security. For others living outside the UK, whether in the US or Germany, you’re definitely going to need VPN services. This is mainly because BBC iPlayer is not and will not be available anywhere outside the UK.
Secondly, if you’re going to try and unblock BBC iPlayer from abroad, it’s best you use a VPN. It’ll provide you with privacy, and device/location protection. So, yes, you do need a VPN for BBC iPlayer.
Can I use a web Proxy instead of a VPN for BBC iPlayer?
This is probably one of the most contested debates in the world of unblocking streaming websites. Yes, you have a choice between using a proxy and a paid VPN service, but there’s a big difference.
While you can use a proxy to stream on BBC iPlayer, I doubt that would be the best choice. The difference is that you would be placing your privacy and security at risk.
Proxy services are free, so they’re making their money some way or the other. It could be through advertisements or by selling your data to other third-party sites.
Nevertheless, when you subscribe to a provider like ExpressVPN, you are guaranteed protection. This is regardless of what device you use, and free from any third party control, for no additional costs.
If you’re still indecisive, I recommend you go for the free trials or refund period for a clear idea. Moreover, with one of these VPN services, you also get added benefits. It’ll allow you to remove ads and pop-up windows; ideal for streaming sites like BBC iPlayer.