In this blog, I will show you a simple way to unblock and watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark. It is a geo-restricted streaming service, and only available within the UK.
However, you can watch BBC iPlayer from any country with a VPN. What makes BBC iPlayer one of the most sought-after streaming websites is its content variety. It is considered as the hub of British content with tons of TV shows, movies, comedy series, documentaries, and much more.
Unfortunately, the streaming service is obliged to follow strict copyrights and licensing policies, and due to that reason, BBC iPlayer is region-locked outside the UK.
Luckily, you don’t have to miss out on your favorite British shows because a BBC iPlayer VPN is the safest way to unblock and watch it. For the safest and buffer-free streaming, I will recommend using Surfshark with BBC iPlayer.
Now, let’s find out how to watch BBC iPlayer in 2023 from anywhere in the world with Surfshark.
Table of Contents
- How to Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark – Step-by-Step Guide
- Why do You Need Surfshark to Watch BBC iPlayer?
- Why Surfshark is the Best VPN for BBC iPlayer?
- Surfshark not working with BBC iPlayer: Troubleshooting Steps
- How to Sign into BBC iPlayer with Surfshark
- What Are Surfshark and BBC iPlayer Compatible Devices?
- How to Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Supported Devices?
- Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Windows
- Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Android
- Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on iOS
- Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Firestick
- What is the Cost of BBC iPlayer Account?
- Best TV Shows to Watch on BBC iPlayer in 2023
- Best Movies to Watch on BBC iPlayer in 2023
- FAQs – BBC iPlayer with Surfshark
- Wrapping Up
How to Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark – Step-by-Step Guide
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark outside the UK. To follow this process make sure to have an active subscription of Surfshark VPN and a BBC iPlayer account. Here are all the required steps to stream BBC iPlayer with Surfshark:
- Get your Surfshark subscription by selecting a pricing plan of your choice
- Download and install the VPN app on your respective streaming device
- Launch and log into the VPN app with your username and password
- Connect to a UK server (Ideally connect to a server in London)
- Open BBC iPlayer website and login to your account
- Now you can watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark from anywhere worldwide.
Why do You Need Surfshark to Watch BBC iPlayer?
Surfshark happens to be one of the most budget-friendly VPNs out there. Its reliable server network, user-friendliness and commitment to data protection is what makes it the best VPN to watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK.
Since BBC iPlayer is British streaming service with strong Firewalls and VPN-detection features, therefore you will need a VPN to access it abroad. Not all VPNs can unblock it because these VPNs are not strong enough to bypass BBC iPlayer firewall.
But that’s not the case with Surfshark. It is a top-notch VPN with incredible speed, world-class encryption, excellent unblocking features and budget-friendly subscription plans.
Besides all these features, bypassing geographical restrictions remains on the top. BBC iPlayer is a geo-restricted streaming service and therefore to overcome that restriction you’ll need a trusted VPN service just like the Surfshark.
Why Surfshark is the Best VPN for BBC iPlayer?
Surfshark is so far the best VPN for BBC iPlayer due to its strong encryption, huge server range, unlimited device connections and pocket-friendly pricing plans. Here are more reasons that truly make Surfshark the best BBC iPlayer VPN:
Surfshark’s Incredible Cross-Platform Support
Surfshark covers a good range of devices and all the major platforms. You can install and use Surfshark apps for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS and Linux.
Moreover, Surfshark for BBC iPlayer also offers supportive apps for multiple streaming devices, including Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, PlayStation, Xbox, Chromecast and Smart TV.
I come to know upon testing that Surfshark apps work great on different platforms and devices. All the apps are easy-to-use and come with great features across platforms. Surfshark also offers browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome.
Moreover, Surfshark pays special attention to user privacy and that’s the reason the VPN provider offers the best security features, including military-grade AES-256 encryption protocol, Switch, Bypasser, Camouflage Mode, Network Kill, and Clean Web.
Extensive Server Network
Surfshark is indeed an Industry giant in the VPN sphere, and all the credit goes to its super-reliable network of servers. It has 3200+ servers in 65+ countries and has 4 dedicated servers in the UK only. The VPN provider covers you with lightning-fast servers in various locations in the UK, including Manchester. Glasgow, Edinburgh and London. Having fast and reliable servers in the UK makes perfect sense of how Surfshark unblocks BBC iPlayer from anywhere.
When you connect to one of Surfshark’s UK servers, the VPN provides you a new UK IP address through which you can easily unblock and watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK.
With Surfshark, you cannot only watch BBC iPlayer but you can also stream other UK streaming platforms like Sky Go, BT Sport, iTV Hub, and Channel 4.
Unlimited Concurrent Device Connections
Be it your laptop, smartphone, iPad, or smart TV, you can use Surfshark simultaneously on any device you want.
This is indeed a very attractive feature because most VPNs only offer 5-10 simultaneous device connections.
But, Surfshark offers unlimited device connections with a single subscription to protect all your devices at once.
The best thing is that the VPN performance was equally good on all of the connected devices.
I tested surfshark simultaneously on my PC, Smartphone, and laptop and the VPN performance was good enough on all connected devices.
Just like me, you can also connect Surfshark and watch BBC iPlayer on multiple devices using your single VPN subscription.
Surfshark not working with BBC iPlayer: Troubleshooting Steps
Surfshark is a working BBC iPlayer VPN, but sometime it might stop working. If your VPN is not working with BBC iPlayer, then try these troubleshooting tricks to stream BBC iPlayer with Surfshark:
Clear your Browser Cookies
You might have noticed that when you browse websites online, then several websites ask you to accept cookies. These cookies store information including your location to help the websites in enhancing your online experience. When you connect a VPN and change your location, the stored cookies may reveal your real location to the streaming site and the site will block your VPN IP address. As a result, your VPN will fail to unblock BBC iPlayer therefore, before connecting Surfshark always make sure to clear your browser cookies so that the streaming site cannot identify your location and IP address and easily gets unblocked with your VPN.
Connect to Another UK Server
If after deleting your browser cookies you’re still facing the same issue, then you should connect to another UK VPN server. When you connect to a Surfshark UK IP address, then chances are that BBC iPlayer might detect your VPN IP address by using its VPN detector. In this case, you can connect to another UK server. Thanks to the huge Surfshark server range. BBC iPlayer can detect one or two IP addresses of a VPN, but it is impossible to detect and block all IPs of a VPN. Hence, connecting to a new VPN server will regain your access to BBC iPlayer from abroad.
Contact Surfshark Customer Support
I will suggest you to contact Surfshark’s support team to get further assistance. Surfshark offers a 24/7 support team to guide you regarding connectivity, speed, and server issues. If after trying all the troubleshooting steps, you’re still facing problems, then you can contact Surfshark support to get assistance with the working VPN server and stream BBC iPlayer from abroad.
How to Sign into BBC iPlayer with Surfshark
Signing into BBC iPlayer with Surfshark is easy and requires a few steps only. Here’s how to do it:
- Subscribe to Surfshark
- Download and install the VPN app on your streaming device
- Open and log into the VPN app
- Connect to a UK server
- Head to the BBC iPlayer website and sign up for an account. Provide your date of birth, country, and a UK postcode.
- That’s it! Now you can watch BBC iPlayer content from anywhere with Surfshark.
What Are Surfshark and BBC iPlayer Compatible Devices?
Here is a list of Surfshark and BBC iPlayer dedicated apps:
- Windows PC
- Android (phones and tablets)
- IOS (iPhone & iPad)
- Android TV
- Amazon Fire TV & Tablet
- Smart TV
How to Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Supported Devices?
Here’s how to watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on different supported devices.
Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Windows
- Subscribe to Surfshark VPN service
- Download and Install the VPN app on your device.
- Connect to a UK server to obtain a British IP address.
- Search for the BBC iPlayer website
- Sign up for a free account, and start watching BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Windows.
Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Android
- Sign up for Surfshark VPN
- Download and set up the VPN app on your device.
- Open up and log into the VPN app
- Connect to a UK server
- Create a new Google Account and set UK as the region.
- Next, log out of your existing ID and log in with your new UK region ID.
- Open Google Play Store, and search for BBC iPlayer app.
- Tap to install the app, and wait for the downloading.
- Once downloaded, sign up for a free account, and start watching BBC iPlayer on Android with Surfshark.
Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on iOS
- Subscribe to Surfshark to activate your account
- Download the VPN app on your iOS device
- Log into the VPN app and connect to a UK server.
- Open your iOS device Settings > click on your Apple ID profile.
- On your profile, click on the Media and Purchases option, then tap Country/ Region, select the United Kingdom, and click Agree.
- Enter the necessary details. Also, add a UK address and a phone number. You can search on the internet and enter any random address, Apple doesn’t verify it.
- Once you change your region to the UK, now go to the App Store and download the BBC iPlayer app.
- Sign in and watch the BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on iOS device.
Watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark on Firestick
- Power on your Firestick device and head to the Settings menu.
- From Settings, Select Device, then Developer Options, and from there enable the option ‘Apps from Unknown Sources.”
- Next, on your home screen, enter Downloader in the search field, and Install the Downloader app on your Firestick device
- After downloading the Downloader app, restart your device.
- Now, download the Surfshark app on your Firestick.
- Open and log into the VPN app, and connect to a UK server.
- Move to the Apps section, and search for the BBC iPlayer app and tap install to download it.
- Launch the BBC iPlayer, sign in and start watching it on Firestick with Surfshark.
What is the Cost of BBC iPlayer Account?
BBC iPlayer is a free streaming service, and it doesn’t cost you anything to create your account. However, all UK citizens are required to pay £147/year as a TV license fee to watch BBC and other UK television. If you’re outside the UK, then you can connect with Surfshark to watch BBC iPlayer without paying anything including the UK TV license fee.
Best TV Shows to Watch on BBC iPlayer in 2023
These are the best TV shows that you can watch on iPlayer in 2023:
- Happy Valley Season 3
- Call the Midwife: Season 12
- The Gold
- Silent Witness
- The Women in the Wall
Best Movies to Watch on BBC iPlayer in 2023
Here is the list of the best movies to watch on iPlayer in 2023:
- Antman and the Wasp
- Captain Marvel 2
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Super Mario Bros
- Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse
- Operation Crossbow
- The Little Mermaid
- Last Christmas
- The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
- I Give it a Year.
FAQs – BBC iPlayer with Surfshark
Is it legal to watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark?
Yes, using Surfshark to stream BBC content is absolutely legal. A VPN protects you online while streaming content. Moreover, a VPN just like Surfshark also bypasses geo-restrictions, and allows you to stream region-locked content. However, using a VPN is against the terms of BBC. The streaming service might block your VPN IP, if detects that you’re using a VPN. In that case, you should change your VPN server to get another VPN IP address and access BBC iPlayer without restrictions.
Does BBC iPlayer block VPNs?
BBC iPlayer blocks VPNs. The streaming service has strong VPN detection system that identifies VPN IPs and blocks user access. Therefore, not all VPNs can unblock BBC iPlayer. However, you can rely upon Surfshark to unblock and watch BBC iPlayer from anyhwere. Surfshark has robust unblocking fetaures to bypass iPlayer’s restrictions safely from any location.
Is BBC iPlayer available in the USA?
No. BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK. But, you can watch it in the USA with Surfshark.
How does the BBC know I am using a VPN?
BBC integartes smart technologies that check all the shared IPs. If the streaming site finds that too many devices are using the same IP address for streaming BBC,then the platform suspends that IP address.
If you want lag and buffer-free iPlayer streaming then connect Surfshark. This blog has everything to guide you on how to watch BBC iPlayer with Surfshark. Right now, Surfshark is the best VPN for BBC iPlayer. Not all VPNs can unblock iPlayer because of the strong firewalls. However, Surfshark is capable of doing that with its strong unblocking features and the huge number of servers worldwide. Don’t miss out on great content, iPlayer will offer some top-of-the-line titles in the upcoming year. It’s great to grab your Surfshark subscription now and enjoy streaming exclusive BBC iPlayer movies and TV shows in 2023.