If you’ve got an Amazon Firestick, then you know that it’s one of the best devices for streaming and much more! To make your Firestick device even better, a Fire Stick remote is what you need. However, before you try to get yourself some streaming content to binge on, it’s important that you learn how to pair Firestick remote to TV.
The procedure is quite simple to comprehend, but again, it all depends on what remote you have for pairing. Either way, this guide will show you how to pair your Fire TV remote or any other compatible remote to your Firestick.
This guide works well for Amazon Firestick (2nd Generation and some older versions of Fire TV devices,) Fire TV Cube, and Firestick 4K.
Table of Content
- How to pair Firestick remote to your TV
- How to pair new Firestick remote to your TV
- How to pair Firestick remote to replace an old or lost one
- How to unpair your Firestick remote
- Pairing a Firestick remote using TV controls
- To conclude
How to pair Firestick remote to your TV
It’s pretty easy to pair a Firestick remote to your Fire TV as compared to other remotes. Here’s how:
- Unplug and plug in your Firestick TV.
- Go to the home screen.
- Get your Firestick remote and hold down on the “Home” button for a few seconds – around 10 to 20 seconds.
- Once you do that, you should either see a blue light flashing on the remote itself, or receive a confirmation message on your screen telling you that your remote has been paired.
- That’s all! You’ve now paired your Firestick remote to your Fire TV.
Just in case this Firestick remote breaks or no longer works, and you’d like to replace and pair it with your Fire TV, take a look at the guides below to get started.
How to pair new Firestick remote to your TV
- On your old Firestick remote, press down on the “Home” button.
- Click on “Settings.”
- Select “Controller and Bluetooth Devices.”
- Click on “Amazon Fire TV Remotes.”
- Now, click on “ADD NEW REMOTE.”
- Take your new Firestick remote and press down on the “Home” button.
- Click on “Select” on your old remote.
- Now, both your Firestick remotes should be paired to your Fire TV.
How to pair Firestick remote to replace an old or lost one
The tutorial above used two remotes to pair a new one. However, just in case you don’t have your old Firestick remote on hand, you can use the Firestick app on your phone to do it. Here is how:
- Launch the Firestick app on your smartphone.
- Click on “Fire TV device” or on “Add device”
- Enter in your account login details.
- Now, enter in your PIN code to use your phone as a remote.
- On your phone, press the “Home” button.
- Select “Settings.”
- Now, select “Controllers and Bluetooth Devices.”
- Head to “Amazon Fire TV Remotes” and then tap on “Add New Remote.”
- Now, press down and hold the “Home” button on your new Firestick remote until it’s been recognized.
- Next, on your phone’s Firestick app, click on “Select.”
- You’ve now paired a new Firestick remote to replace the old or lost one.
Just in case you no longer like to use a Firestick remote on your Fire TV, and would like to unpair it, refer to the tutorial below.
How to unpair your Firestick remote
As mentioned above, if you no longer have any use for your Firesitck remote on your device, or would like to replace it with another remote, you still need to unpair it first. Before getting started, there are two instances to look into:
- There’s only 1 Firestick remote connected to your device
- There are 2 Firestick remotes connected to your device
Here’s how to get started:
There’s only 1 Firestick remote connected to your device
Here’s the situation, if you’re using just one remote that is connected to your Fire TV, you cannot use the same remote to unpair itself. What you could do is, make sure the other Firestick device that you’d like to connect the current remote to, is within range of the Firestick device being used.
So, what you could do is unplug the current Fire TV device you’re using, and while it’s off, connect the existing remote to the other Fire TV device.
With that said, you will only be able to pair the only Firestick remote you have to your other Fire TV when the current device is turned off.
There are 2 Firestick remotes connected to your device
For this, if you’re using two Firestick remotes with one Fire TV device, and would like to unpair one of them, here’s how you can do that:
- On your Firestick homescreen, click on “Settings.”
- Click on “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.”
- Select “Amazon Fire TV Remotes.”
- Click on the Firestick remote that you’d like to unpair.
- Using the other remote, click on the three line menu key.
- Again using the other remote, click on the “Select” button.
- That’s all!
You’ve now managed to unpair one of the Firestick remotes using the other controller on your Fire TV device.
Pairing a Firestick remote using TV controls
Just in case you’re not too keen on using the tutorials above, there is another option for you to consider. You can try pairing Firestick remote using some TV controls that come on many Firestick or FireTV remotes.
For instance, there’s a power on/off button, a mute option, and a volume up/down button. You can use these to pair or sync the remote with the IR profile on your TV. This allows you to manually connect or pair your remote to your TV, or to give it some commands.
If, however, the TV buttons do not work, here’s what you can do:
- On your Firestick TV, click on the “Settings” cog icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select “Equipment Control.”
- Click on “Manage Equipment”
- Now, on the next window, click on “TV.”
- Then click on “Change TV.”
- When prompted with the window below, click on “Change TV.”
- Wait a bit for the remote to set up. You should see the following message on screen: “Please wait while we prepare your remote for setup.”
- If your Firestick managed to detect the TV, then click on “Yes.” If the TV hasn’t been detected, then click on “No” and choose the brand of TV you have.
- That’s all!
Can you pair one Firestick remote to two Fire TV devices simultaneously?
No, you cannot. To use one Firestick remote on your Fire TV, you will need to unplug one of the Fire TV devices and pair it to the other.
What to do when the Firestick remote is not working?
If your Firestick remote is not working, you can reset it by replacing either its batteries or replace the remote entirely with a new one.
Can we use Firestick without a remote?
Yes, you can use your Firestick device without a Fire TV remote. All you need to do is download the Fire TV remote app on your Android or iOS smartphone and use it to navigate your device.
And that’s a wrap! You now know how to pair Firestick remote to TV. It’s pretty simple for anyone to connect a Firestick remote to their Fire TV using any one of the tutorials above. Plus, if you’d like to unpair it, there’s even a short guide above for it. Either way, if you don’t have a Firestick remote, you could always download the remote app on your smartphone and use that.