Get a VPN for Roku to unlock your favorite Roku channels and open a whole new world of streaming from anywhere in the world! This guide will lead you to choose the best VPN for Roku, and will also show you how to set up or install a VPN on Roku!
But, first…What is Roku?
Launched back in 2018, Roku has become one of the top-tiered streaming devices to watch popular channels and on-demand content. Roku has gone through various changes over the years. As a result, it comes in different specifications and generations like Roku Express, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere+, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Ultra, and Roku TV.
These Roku devices run an Android-based OS that allows users to install a wide range of compatible apps and channels. However, most of the built-in media in Roku are geo-restricted, which means they are only accessible from specific countries/regions.
To access these geo-restricted channels, you must be either in the same country where these streaming channels are available or change your IP address to appear as if you’re in the same region.
But, of course, you wouldn’t be traveling to that country and spend so much money to access a particular channel. So this means you need to change your IP address to access them, and you can easily accomplish that either by using a VPN or using a Smart DNS proxy.
A VPN is a better choice
A VPN for Roku will be a better choice. It will not only allow you to change your IP to the same region as the channel, but also encrypts your online traffic, routing it through its remote servers. This means that all your online data is protected and you will be able to stream your favorite geo-restricted Roku channels from a different country.
Best VPN for Roku
Choosing a VPN for Roku isn’t as easy a task, as anyone would assume. There’s a lot of careful consideration and ample testing that needs to be done. With that said, our team of experts have run multiple tests, combined user experiences, and then listed only the best for Roku. They are:
ExpressVPN usually ranks number one among other VPNs in the industry. In fact, ExpressVPN is a leading choice in the USA, UK, and China. The Provider has a huge customer base from around the world. It offers 3000+ servers across the globe that gives you exceptionally high internet speeds and instant access to geo-restricted content.
Security-wise, ExpressVPN is equally ranked the best as it uses military-grade encryption as well as tons of VPN features. It provides a secure and stable platform for users to stream whatever they want. However, results shouldn’t just rely on popularity, but rather through personal testing. Here’s why ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Roku alongside NordVPN and FastestVPN.
Pros of ExpressVPN
- Fast and stable servers ideal for streaming
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Roku compatible
- Uses strong VPN protocols
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Free trial for Android and iOS smartphones
- Unlimited bandwidth and tons of VPN features
Cons of ExpressVPN
FastestVPN is a Cayman-Island-based VPN provider offering not a huge, but simple list of servers that work! These servers are highly optimized for streaming and P2P file sharing. It also offers the most advanced VPN features for users to improve their device security and overall online privacy. FastestVPN also uses AES 256-bit military-grade encryption which is the strongest data encryption mechanism right now.
High-level privacy and incredibly fast servers make FastestVPN one of the best VPNs for Roku. Even though FastestVPN doesn’t offer any Roku VPN app, it does allow you to configure it over a wide range of routers. FastestVPN has servers in UK, US, Australia, and other internationally recognized servers for the best streaming platforms. You will be able to connect to these servers to unblock popular geo-resticted Roku channels and streaming services without any hassle.
Pros of FastestVPN
- 350+ speedy servers
- Supports OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, and IKEv2 protocols
- Automatically connect and kill switch feature
- Compatibility across all platforms
- Allows up to 15 multi-device connections
Cons of FastestVPN
- No free trial
- Only a 15-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is a highly reputable VPN service provider and one of the biggest in the market. It has a large clientele across the globe. NordVPN is all about performance and accessibility, it has more than 5500+ servers, all optimized for streaming and torrenting. The Speeds were some of the best we’ve recorded!
NordVPN offers a wide array of servers in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, and other countries, making it really easy to access all your geo-restricted Roku channels from around the world. It also gives you the strongest encryption and security through its servers. NordVPN as a whole is considered a top VPN and is certainly one of the best VPNs for Roku right now.
Pros of NordVPN
- A wide servers network across 59+ countries
- Supports most popular VPN protocols
- Optimized servers for streaming and torrenting
- Compatible with major platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Free trial for macOS, Android and iOS smartphones
Cons of NordVPN
- Integration of additional features sometimes decreases internet speeds.
IPVanish is a US-based VPN provider that has become really popular over the years with its fast and safe service. It has a wide network of servers in 75+ countries. These servers allow immediate and speedy access to geo-restricted websites and services. Its’ fast and stable connections and highly reliable service also allow users to access their favorite Roku channels that are restricted to specific countries.
What’s great about IPVanis, is that it now allows unlimited device connections. It offers apps for PC, mobile phones, gaming consoles, Fire devices and more, including Roku with a single connection. In terms of security, IPVanish is up there with the best as it offers tons of VPN features to secure your devices and connections.
The service operates using AES 256-bit encryption as well as support various protocols to give you a secure, smooth, and fast streaming experience. The fact that IPVanish is a US-based service, you won’t have problems accessing US-based Roku channels from abroad. All these perks make IPVanish the best VPN for Roku.
Pros of IPVanish
- Fast servers ideal for streaming
- Strong and secure connections
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited device connections
- Compatible with all platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- free trial for Android and iOS smartphones
Cons of IPVanish
- Downtime of a few servers
CyberGhost is another VPN service that is the best for streaming geo-restricted services worldwide. It’s user-friendly apps is also what makes it one of the best VPNs for Roku. It is a reliable VPN provider with more than 7000+ servers in 91 countries.
What’s great about CyberGhost, is that its servers are labeled with the streaming services that can easily unblock. These CyberGhost servers are ideal for streaming and P2P file sharing, and worked exceptionally well for Roku. Where security is concerned, it operates using AES 256-bit encyrption paired with other unique features; perfect for online privacy.
CyberGhost is headquartered in Romania, which is free from data retention laws. This is great for users in countries that enforce harsh online censorship and surveillance laws. So, considering this, you can say CyberGhost is certainly up there amongst the best VPN for Roku we have mentioned above.
Pros of CyberGhost
- High-speed servers
- Top-notch VPN features
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 7 multi-logins
- High-end security and privacy
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Free trial for Windows, Andorid and iOS smartphones and macOS.
Cons of CyberGhost
- Limited payment options
How to Install VPN on Roku
There are no VPN apps available for Roku due to the fact that Roku supports a VPN client, meaning that you cannot install the VPN app directly on Roku. Moreover, Roku also doesn’t allow manual configuration of VPN or DNS proxies. However, not to worry, there are still ways you can install VPN on Roku:
- Setup VPN on a router.
- You can set up a VPN on a PC or Mac and use it as a WiFi Hotspot.
- Set up a Smart DNS proxy on the Router.
How to Setup VPN on Roku through Router
Setting up a VPN on your Router will allow you to share your VPN connection on all your devices by connecting them to the router. But before you set up a VPN on the Router, you should know that not all routers are VPN-compatible. However, most of them are, like DD-WRT or Tomato-based routers.
Here is a list of all the popular routers that are DD-WRT or Tomato based and can be used to set up the best VPN for Roku:
If you have one of the above routers, then you can proceed with the guide below on how to setup a VPN on Roku:
- Visit your preferred VPN provider’s website
- Browse to its router setup guide page and download the ‘.ovpn’ file to your system.
- Now, open your router configuration panel by entering your router’s IP address in the address bar. Most routers have any one of these following IP address, so you can try each one of them to open the configuration panel:
- From the control panel, Select ‘Services’ and then Select ‘VPN’.
- Enable the ‘Start OpenVPN client’ option.
- You will see various fields where you need to enter specific details of your VPN connection which you will get from the ovpn config file you downloaded earlier. Open the file and enter the details accordingly.
- Now, for Server IP/Name and Port, copy and paste both Server IP and Port values in the relevant fields.
- For TLS Auth Key, copy and paste the text between <tls-auth> and </tls-auth> From the .ovpn file in the TLS Auth Key field.
- Now, for CA certificate, copy and paste the text between <ca> and </ca> in the CA Cert
- For Public Client Cert, copy and paste the text between <cert> and </cert> in the Public Client Cert
- Finally, copy and paste the text between <key>and </key> in the Private Client
- Press Save, and then press Apply Settings. Now your VPN connection is up and running.
- To see connection details, click on Status > OpenVPN. Here you will see the ‘Connected Success’ status.
This is the best and the easiest way to set up the best VPN for Roku.
How to Install VPN on Roku via a Virtual Router
In this method, you are going to download and install the VPN client on your Windows or Mac system, connect to a server, and then use your PC/Mac as a Wi-Fi hotspot to use the VPN connection on your Roku device. This method is a bit complicated however, the results will be the same. You will be able to install the best VPN for Roku and stream your favorite Roku channels without any restrictions.
How to Share MAC VPN connection on Roku:
- On your Mac OS, open the System Preferences menu, then go to Sharing.
- Now select Internet Sharing from the left menu. You will see a list of Internet Sharing options on the right side of the screen. Set the following details on each field:
- Share your connection from [the VPN connection you just created]
- To computers using: check for Wi-Fi
- Now Select Wi-Fi Options and set the following details:
- Network Name: [Enter any network name]
- Channel: [set to default]
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: [Enter your desired password]
- Verify: [re-enter the same password]
- Then click on OK.
- Now from the Sharing menu, check Internet Sharing the box. You will see a pop-up notification asking you to turn the Internet sharing ON.
- Click the Start button.
- When Internet Sharing is activated, you will see a green light appear next to “Internet Sharing: On”.
- Now, switch on your Roku device and from the Home Screen navigate to Settings –>Network -> Wireless (Wi-Fi) -> Set up new Wi-Fi connection.
Finally, Connect the WiFi network you just created on your Mac OS.
How to Share PC VPN connection with Roku
- On your PC, click on the search bar and type cmd and hit enter to bring up the Command Prompt on the search.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt option and click on Run as administrator.
- Now type the following details:
- netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD
- After that, Name your PC virtual router by setting up the following values:
- ssid=[enter a name for your connection]
- key=[enter a password for your connection]
- Now, hit Enter.
- On the Command Prompt, you will see the following messages appear:
- “The hosted network mode has been set to allow”.
- “The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed”.
- “The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed”.
- Now to turn on your virtual router, type the following text in the cmd prompt and after that hit Enter:
- netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- When the virtual router is started, a message will appear that says, “The hosted network started.”
- Now you need to open the “Open Network and Sharing Center” by right-clicking the WiFi icon from the system tray at the bottom right corner of the screen and select “Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click on the VPN network you created previously and Select “Properties”.
- Now navigate to the “Sharing” tab.
- Check the box where it says “Allow Other Network User to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Check the box where it says “Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection”.
- From Under the “Home Network Connection” option, select the VPN network you’ve just created.
- Click on OK.
- Now, switch on your Roku device and go to Settings >Network > Wireless (Wi-Fi) > Set up new Wi-Fi connection from the Roku Home screen.
- Final Connect to the Wi-Fi connection you just created on your Windows PC.
How to Install VPN on Roku using Smart DNS Proxy (Alternative Method)
Another alternate way to install VPN on Roku is by using a Smart DNS Proxy service. It may not be the most recommended option and neither better than using a VPN, however, it still allows you to unlock your Roku content. But one thing that makes VPN a better choice is its security. A VPN can protect your internet traffic with high-level encryption as well as offer device security, which Smart DNS proxy can’t. Anyway, if you are considering to use Smart DNS proxy, here how it goes.
To setup smart DNS Proxy, you can directly configure the DNS settings on your router without changing the settings on your PC/Mac system. Some VPN providers offer smart DNS proxy service but there are other Smart DNS services like Unlocator that you can choose.
Moreover, most routers support Smart DNS proxy but not all. Routers such as TP-link, Linksys, D-Link, Asus, and Cisco all support DNS configuration. One more thing before we show you how to setup smart DNS is that if you’re using a modem provided by your ISP, you wouldn’t be able to setup DNS proxy on it. So make sure you have a DNS supported Router.
Once you have configured Smart DNS on our Router, connect your Roku device to the router and unblock Roku channels instantly.
How to Create an American Roku Account
The most popular channels on Roku are the USA-based channels. In order to get these USA-based channels and apps on your Roku, you need an American Roku account. By getting an American Roku account, you can install popular channel apps like Showtime, HBO GO, ESPN, NBC Sports, and other popular channels on your Roku device. If you reside in the US, you will be able to get all these channels easily, if you don’t, then to create an American Roku account, you will need to setup a VPN on your OS or router.
Here is a detailed guide on how to create an American Roku account:
- Get a VPN subscription
- Connect to its US VPN server.
- Visit https://my.roku.com/index and select ‘Create account’.
- Now, fill in the required details and then click on ‘Continue’.
- Select a Pin and press ‘Continue’.
- Next, choose a payment option. You will be given two options: Paypal or Credit Card.
- If you already have a PayPal account, you can choose Paypal (don’t worry about your Paypal country as it will not affect your Roku account)
- Next, you need to enter a valid US address to finalize the setup. You can choose California as your state and “90210” as your zip code.
- If you select Credit card, you will need to enter your real address that is linked with your Credit Card.
- After that, you need to enter a valid zip code. You can do that by converting the postal code into a valid zip code.
- Note down the City and the new zip associated with it as they are required for the account setup.
- To generate a valid zip code, take the numbers/digits from your postal code. For example, M1Z4L3 is the postal code which becomes 143. Now add zeros to the end of the code if there are less than 5 numbers/digits in your postal code. Here 143 becomes ZIP 14300.
- Now that you have successfully created your American Roku account, you need to reset your Roku device to factory settings.
- To do that, select settings from the Roku home screen and then select factory reset, and then follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.
- Finally, restart your Roku device and use the newly created American Roku account to unlock American channels and enjoy your favorite USA content.
How to Create UK Roku Account
If you’re looking for ways to access UK channels on Roku, you will need a British UK account. By getting a UK Roku account, you can install channels like BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, ITV, and more to your Roku device and enjoy streaming your favorite UK shows and more. But again, if you don’t reside within the UK, you will need a VPN for Roku to create your UK Roku account from outside of United Kingdom.
Follow the below guide to setup a VPN and use it to create your Roku account:
- First get a VPN subscription (Choose a VPN from our list above)
- Connect to its UK server.
- Visit https://my.roku.com/index and Select ‘Create account’.
- Next, fill in the required details and then hit ‘Continue’.
- Select a Pin and click on ‘Continue’.
- On the next page, you have to payment options: PayPal or Credit Card.
- If you already have a PayPal account, you can choose PayPal.
- You can use a fake UK address and W11 2BQ as your postal code when signing up
- After finalizing your UK Roku account, reset your Roku device to factory settings by going to settings from the home screen and then select Factory Reset, then follow the on-screen instructions to get done.
- Once done, sign in with your newly created UK Roku account on your Roku device and unlock all UK channels and stream without any restrictions.
By using our above guides, you will be able to set up the best VPN for Roku and create a US or UK Roku account and unlock your favorite Roku channels from anywhere without any restrictions. I don’t have a VPN on Roku yet, choose a suitable VPN provider from our list above and use our guides in this post to set up a VPN on your Roku devices. The methods may seem a bit complicated, but in the end, it will all be worth it, and you will be able to catch all your favorite US and UK Roku channels instantly on your devices.