If you’re here because you’d like to know how to install Surfshark on FireStick, then you’ve come to the right place! In this guide, I’ll show you a step-by-step tutorial on how to install, set up and use the Surfshark VPN app on your Fire TV Stick. This guide works for all Fire devices like Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, and Fire TV Stick Lite.
Why use a VPN for FireStick?
Firestick is one of the best streaming devices in the industry, however, it does not come without risks. There are a lot of factors to stay vary off, especially knowing the spike in cybercrimes these days. In fact, issues like geo-restrictions and censorship laws also play a huge role in downing the overall experience on your Fire TV. It’s why we recommend using a VPN with it.
Plus, if you already use a VPN on other devices, like your smartphone, or laptop, you are probably already used to the idea of online privacy and curbing geo-restrictions to access particular apps, websites etc. So, why not protect yourself online with a VPN while on Firestick? The obstacles are the same!
Also note, not every VPN service offers an app for Firestick, and not every VPN is reliable or secure enough. Luckily, we’ve got the answer – it’s using a top-league VPN like Surfshark on FireStick.
Surfshark offers a lot of benefits, especially for Firestick users. There might be particular movies or TV shows that you’re looking for, but is only available on a certain streaming service. What if that streaming service is not available in your region? Take Netflix for starters, if you’re in the US, you will be able to stream movies in the US library.
However, if you’re within the US and want access to another countries library, you won’t have easy access. Netflix restricts the access of particular libraries outside the region of allowance. Surfshark VPN can help with that, by allowing you to bypass numerous online restrictions.Get VPN Now
How does a VPN work in general?
Most users are not too sure whether you really need a VPN for FireStick, or a VPN in general, especially for a Firestick device. This question mostly arises because most users don’t understand how a VPN works. When you are online, whether it is for social media or online shopping, or even for streaming a movie, there is a lot that you need to stay clear of. A VPN will protect your information, your privacy, and your device from attacks.
The moment you log into Surfshark, it allows you to shield your physical IP address or location and allows you to hide it with one of the VPN’s servers. From there, all your web-traffic passes through an encrypted tunnel and then to the internet. With Surfshark on Firestick, your Internet Service Provider or any other surveillance body will not be able to pry on your traffic, activities or data.
How to install Surfshark on FireStick
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for accessing Firestick apps and channels. There are some VPNs that don’t offer an app for Firestick, so for that you would need to download a Sideloading app called “Downloader.” Luckily, Surfshark VPN is one of the few providers that does offer a dedicated app for Firestick available on the Amazon Store. So, the installation process will be much easier to do! Take a look below to see how you can install Surfshark on FireStick:
- Launch your Firestick.
- On the homepage, click on the search bar (magnifying icon) and type in “Surfshark VPN.”
- Once you find the app, click on “Get.” It will start downloading.
- After the app installs, click on “Open” to start up the Surfshark VPN app.
- That is all! You now have Surfshark on FireStick!
This is the simplest way to get Surfshark VPN on Firestick. However, there might be a few instances where you won’t be able to get the app easily on the Amazon Store due to restrictions. This is regardless of whether you have a Surfshark subscription. So, if you’re traveling abroad and can’t access Surfshark on your Firestick directly through the app, you can still get it by using the Downloader (Sideloading) method. Take a look at the tutorial below.
How to install Surfshark on FireStick via the Sideloading Method
This method is only for those who can’t seem to find the Surfshark app on the Amazon Store, or can’t access it altogether. Luckily, there is another method you can use to install Surfshark on Firestick using the Sideloading technique. So, if you’ve already got the app on the Amazon Store, there is no need to go through these steps.
Sideloading the Surfshark app means downloading and installing the APK file of it. Since that involves downloading third-party apps, you will need to enable to “Apps from Unknown Sources” before starting anything else. Here is how you can get started:
- Launch Firestick and click on “Settings.”
- Next, click on “My Fire Device” or “My Fire TV.”
- Click on “Developer Options” and enable the “Apps from Unknown Sources.” This will allow you to sideload third-party apps like the Downloader app.
- Next, head back to the Firestick homepage and click on the “search” magnifying glass icon.
- Click on it and type in “Downloader.”
- Once you find the app, click on “Get” to download.
- Launch the Downloader app when it installs.
- On the homepage of the Downloader app, you should see a side menu. Click on “Browser” and type in the URL “com/download.” The Surfshark website should appear.
- Scroll down and click on “Amazon Fire TV app.”
- If you see a link to the Amazon Store, click on it.
- Sign in to your account and download the file.
- When it downloads, click on “Install.”
- After you download the Surfshark VPN app, proceed to delete the APK file since it’s not needed and take up storage space.
How do you use Surfshark on Firestick?
You’ve downloaded and installed the Surfshark VPN app on your Firestick, now what? If you’re a first-time VPN user, then this guide is for you. For those of you who are already familiar with how you can use a VPN on your Fire TV, skip these steps.
If you haven’t signed up for a Surfshark account, make sure you do that first before proceeding with anything else. Here is how you can get started:
- Go to the Surfshark website and click on “Get Surfshark VPN.”
- This will redirect you to the sign up page. First choose a package, and then a payment method.
- Now, create your account by filling in an email address and password, and follow the onscreen instructions. You can either create your account directly through your Firestick app or from the Surfshark website using any device.
- Once you’ve signed up with Surfshark, launch Surfshark on your Fire TV Stick, and log in to your account.
- Connect to any server and get started!
If you’re planning on turning off your Firestick when it’s not in use, this guide can help you do that.
How to choose and connect to a specific server on the Surfshark FireStick app
If you’re looking for a specific server to unblock a particular streaming service, here is what you can do:
- When you launch the app, you will see the options to choose from (location/static IP/Multihop), click on “Locations.”
- Either click on any country by scrolling, or type in the name of the country using the search box.
- The other two options (Static IP and Multihop) are there just in case you need specific servers. Static IP is a personal IP address assigned to only you, which you can buy while creating your account. There are a few Multihop servers, which basically means simultaneously connecting to two servers for extra security.
Surfshark offers around 3200+ servers in 65 countries! That is plenty enough servers for you to explore depending on what you’re trying to unblock or get access to – be it for privacy or streaming. Best of all? You will be allowed to make unlimited device connections other than your FireStick.
How to tweak around with the Surfshark settings and features
You know how to connect and use the various servers, but what about the Surfshark settings and features? Let’s first go through some of its features and how you can enable/use them, starting with:
Surfshark offers a number of features on the Firestick app, some of which you can manually switch on and off by going into the settings. There is a feature called the Whitelister, which allows you to pass selective apps through the VPN tunnel. You can click on it and type in the name of the website or app that you want to add. Then, there is also a CleanWeb feature that sweeps away annoying ads, and also acts like a malware blocker.
Also, there’s a CleanWeb feature that essentially serves as an AdBlocker, and protects you from malware as well. You can also toggle on the VPN Kill Switch by scrolling down the features list. Enable it to work!
You will be able to tweak around and make a few changes to customize the Surfshark VPN app for FireStick. Click on the “Settings” and you will see a list of option. First, you can extend your subscription plan by clicking on “Extend,” then you could also change the language according to your preference and whatever is available.
There is also an auto-connect feature that you can enable so that you don’t have to connect to the app every time. Have any complaints during VPN usage? You could also send a crash report! Other than that, you will be able to switch Surfshark protocols to make the best of your experience online. There are certain protocols like OpenVPN or IKEv2 that are recommended for streaming and faster speeds.
Surfshark, in short, is one of the best VPN services in the market! Its user-friendly apps, fast speeds, high-end security and features are only a few reasons why this makes a great app! What is more, installing Surfshark on FireStick is far easier than you think! This is because luckily there is a dedicated Surfshark app available on the Amazon App Store. If not, you could always use the Sideloading method, mentioned in the tutorial above.